Kingston upon Hull War Memorial 1914 - 1918

The story of Hull in World War One

Our Loss

A great many people from Hull lost their lives in World War 1. 

There are over a hundred families on the Hull Memorial that lost two or more of their family. Each was an individual tragedy.

What follows here are snippets about some of those people.

Over, 7,000 Hull men died in the First World War. Nearly 1,200 of these were sailors working with the fishing fleet, or serving with the Merchantile Marine and the Royal Navy.

There were nearly another 1,500 men who were born in Hull, but who lived elsewhere. They include many who enlisted in Hull or were associated with the City, but are not usually remembered on Hull war memorials. The Kingston Upon Hull Memorial aims to remember all those with a Hull connection who died in the First World War.

There are over a hundred families on the Hull Memorial that lost two or more of their family. Sometimes fathers, sons and brothers were lost on the same day. At least one in six Hull families lost a direct relative. Many others would lose close friends, work colleagues or others known to them. Each death was irreplaceable and an individual tragedy for someone.

Unfortunately, not all deaths were recorded in official casualty figures, particularly if soldiers died of sickness, accidents or were discharged home with wounds. By 1924 the Ministry of Pensions reported that there were 20,000 war wounded living in Hull. Although they survived the war, they are rarely recorded on war memorials. What follows here are snippets of some of those people who died. 


Sapper, Eric Simpson, Royal Engineers, was accidentally drowned in the River Dwina, aged 20, and is buried at Archangel in Russia.


L/Cpl. William Thorley Allenby (20 years), & his brother George David Allenby (25 years), both 7th CEF, Columbia Regiment, died at Vimy Ridge on the 8th July 1916. Their parents David & Ellen Allenby, lived 31 Mayfield Street, Hull.


Corporal, Henry Beanland, (aged 23), died on the same day as his brother Private Arthur Beanland, (aged 28). They both served in the 13th East Yorkshires and were killed in action on the 13th November 1916. They were the sons of Benjamin and Lydia Beanland, 11 Alexandra Avenue, Arundle Street.


Pte. George Edward Betts, 12th EYR, (20 years) and brother, John Betts, 8th EYR, (24 years), were killed on the 13th November 1916. Both were sons of Joshua & Harriet Betts, 6 Lucas Square, Sykes Street, Hull.
John Betts lived with his wife Margaret & their two children nearby, at 4 Carlton Place, Francis Street, Hull.
Incidentally, Pte. William Betts, 598, 13th EYR was also killed on the same day. He was also born in Hull and before the war worked as a porter on the North Eastern Railway in Hull.


Pte. Leonard Blanchard, 29766, and Pte, Walter Blanchard, 602, both served with the 11th EYR and were killed on the 12th April 1918. Their parents lived at 6 Ash Grove, Dalton Street, Hull.