BORN HULL 1898. FOURTH SON OF WILLIAM FREDERICK DICKINSON & EMILY MARY DICKINSON, 26 ST. MATTHEW STREET AND AT THE ABOVE ADDRESS. ONE OF SEVEN SONS. HE SERVED ON THIS MINESWEEPER 'KING EMPEROR' WHICH SANK DURING A COLLISION ON 04/02/1916. FIVE CREW WERE LOST. HIS OLDER BROTHER ARTHUR, WAS ALSO KILLED AT SEA, A MONTH LATER, ON 24/03/1916.
On February 4th, 1916, the British steamer HMT KING EMPEROR, built in 1914 and operated by British Royal Navy, was lost after a collision. 8 people lost their lives.
1. COOK, THOMAS ARTHUR , Skipper, HMT King Emperor, Royal Naval Reserve, †04/02/1916, Chatham Naval Memorial
2. DICKINSON, GEORGE , Engineman (no. 2550ES), Royal Naval Reserve, †04/02/1916, Memorial: Chatham Naval Memorial
3. GILLARD, JAMES , Second Hand (no. 1610/SA), HMT King Emperor, Royal Naval Reserve, †04/02/1916, Father of A. S. Doy, of 70, Brighton St., Hessle Rd., Hull, Memorial: Hull Western Cemetery
4. GREEN, ARTHUR FREDERICK (44), Engineman (no. 2811ES), HMT King Emperor, Royal Naval Reserve, Son of James Arthur and Francis Green, of Hull; husband of Alice Green, of 9, Alexander Terrace. Bean St., Hull, Chatham Naval Memorial
5. NEWBIGGING (19), Signaller (no. Clyde Z/3722), HMT King Emperor, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, †04/02/1916, Son of William Newbigging, of 21, Drive Rd., Linthouse, Govan, Glasgow, Memorial: Glasgow (Craigton) Cemetery
6. STAHL , Lieut-Commander, HMT King Emperor, Royal Navy, †04/02/1916, Memorial: Farnham Civil Cemetery
7. TAYLOR, FREDERICK JAMES (23), Trimmer (no. 3034TS), HMT King Emperor, Royal Naval Reserve, †04/02/1916, Son of William Henry and Jessie Taylor, of Hull; husband of Minnie Taylor, of 111, Havelock St., Hessle Rd., Hull, Chatham Naval Memorial
8. WARD, GEORGE ERNEST (32), Deck Hand (no. 5869/DA), Son of George and Melinda Ann Ward, of Hull; husband of Martha Ann Ward, of 169, Somerset St., Hessle Rd., Hull. Alternative Commemoration - buried in Hull (Holy Trinity, Hessle Road) Cemetery, Memorial: Hull Northern Cemetery