BORN HULL 1895. SON OF ELIZABETH (WHITTLE) & WILLIAM AT THIS HULL ADDRESS OFF BEACH STREET. THE FAMILY ALSO LIVED AT 1 WOODBINE TERRACE, RODNEY STREET, HULL. BEFORE THE WAR HE WORKED AS A GENERAL LABOURER. HIS CARGO SHIP, WAS TORPEDOED AND SUNK IN THE MEDITERRANEAN, ON 16/11/1917, WITH THE LOSS OF FIVE CREW. HIS BROTHER GEORGE, SERVED AS A SEAMAN, AND LIVED AT, 2 ELLEN TERRACE, BLUNDELL STREET. HE LEFT A SISTER IN LAW, MAUD.
Kyno SS was a British Cargo Steamer of 2,202 tons built in 1913 by Dunlop Bremner & Co, Port Glasgow, Yard No 274. Engines by Shipbuilder, T. 3cyl 249nhp. She was built for Thos. Wilson, Sons & Co Ltd, Hull but purchased in 1917 by Ellerman´s Wilson Line, Hull.
On the 6th November 1917 she was torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-63 when 9 miles N by E of Cape Shershel, Algeria on voyage from Hull to Alexandria.
PEOPLE ON BOARD SS 'KYNO'
1. DRAPER , Private (no. CH/14620), SS Kyno, Royal Marine Light Infantry Royal Marines Reserve, †16/11/1917, Service: R.M.R./B/1646, Memorial: Algiers (Boulevard Bru) European Cemetery
2. KITCHMAN, WILLIE (22), Sailor, SS Kyno, Mercantile Marine, †16/11/1917, Son of Eliza Whittle, formerly Kitchman (nee Robson), of 5, Edwards Avenue, Holmes St., Hull, and the late William Kitchman, Memorial: Tower Hill Memorial
3. LANCASTER, WILLIAM EDWARD (27), Sailor, SS Kyno, Mercantile Marine, †16/11/1917, Son of Tom Tate Lancaster and Mienzea Lancaster, of 39, Campbell St., Hull, Yorks, Memorial: Tower Hill Memorial
4. RICHARDS, THOMAS (23), Fireman, SS Kyno, Mercantile Marine, †16/11/1917, Born in Sierra Leone, Memorial: Tower Hill Memorial
5. SHARP, WILLIAM HUTCHEON (54), Able Seaman, SS Kyno, Mercantile Marine, †16/11/1917, Son of the late James and Ann Sharp; husband of Mary Elizabeth Sharp (nee Hunt), of 5, Porter Place, Porter St., Hull. Born at Montrose, Forfar, Memorial: Tower Hill Memorial