BORN HULL 1892. SON OF RAYMOND & ANNIE HOLDSWORTH. SERVED AS THIRD ENGINEER ON THE STAM SHIP "CALYPSO". LOST AT SEA, ON 11/07/1916, AGED 24. HIS BROTHER SERVED WITH THE 4TH EYR AND IS PHOTOGRAPHED IN THE HULL DAILY MAIL ON THE 5TH MAY 1915. *
Calypso SS was a 2,876grt British Merchantship built in 1904 by Earle’s SB. & Eng. Co., Ltd., Hull and owned by T. Wilson, Sons & Co., Ltd., Hull . There was accommodation for 57-1st, 44-2nd and 863-3rd class passengers. Taken up by the Admiralty in November 1914, she was renamed HMS CALYX and armed with 8 x 4.7inch and 2 x 3pounder guns. She served with the 10th Cruiser Squadron until 26.6.1915 when she was returned to the Wilson Line. On the 10th July 1916, in the North Sea when about 15 miles west of Listafjorden, Norway she was torpedoed without warning and sunk by German submarine U-53 when on route from London for Christiania carrying a general cargo. 30 lives lost, including Master. The following crew were from Hull.
1. EATON (25), Assistant Steward, of Ye Old White Hart pub, Silver Street, Hull. Born Hull,
2. FORSELL, GUSTAF TEODOR (62), Carpenter, husband of Henrietta Forsell (nee Sshultz), of 29, Edward's Place, Buckingham Street, Hull. Born at Akesund, Sweden.
3. GIBSON, GEORGE (47), Chief Engineer, husband of Margaret Helen Gibson (nee Bullard), of 7, Acland St., Albert Avenue, Hull. Born at Hull, Memorial: Tower Hill Memorial
4. HOLDSWORTH, CLIFFORD MOLLEY (24), Third Engineer, Son of Raymond and Annie Gertrude Holdsworth (nee Darley), of 132, Ella St., Hull. Born at Hull. Tower Hill Memorial.
5. HOTHAM, ALBERT ROBERT (42), Donkeyman, Husband of Ellen Hotham, of 10, Carlton Terrace, S. Boulevard, Hull. Born at Hull, Memorial: Tower Hill Memorial
6. JOULES, HAROLD (28), Chief Officer, Husband of Elsie May Morton (formerly Joules), of Cleveleys, Clifford Avenue, Ings Rd., Hull. Born at Hull, Memorial: Tower Hill Memorial
7. NIXON (24), Wireless Operator, Son of Mrs. H. Nixon, of 36, Cumberland St., Hull.
8. PLUMB, JOHN EDWIN (32), Ship's Cook, Husband of Annie Elizabeth Appleton (formerly Plumb), of 79, Thoresby St., Prince's Avenue, Hull. Born at Hull, Tower Hill Memorial.
9. SMITH, ARTHUR PEARSON (39), Chief Steward, SS Calypso, Mercantile Marine, †11/07/1916, Husband of Beatrice Smith, of 33, Ormonde Avenue, Desmond Avenue, Hull.
10. STOCKDALE, TOM (35), Second Officer, Son of the late Tom and Ruth Stockdale; husband of Mary Ann Stockdale (nee Betney), of 3, Swinburne St., Westcott St., Hull.
11. WESTCOTT, WILLIAM ALEXANDER GEORGE (37), Able Seaman, Son of Mary Ann Westcott, of 29, Windmill St., Gravesend. Born at Hull, Memorial: Tower Hill Memorial
12. WESTERMAN, ARTHUR STEWART (33), Second Engineer, Son of Mrs. Ada Westerman, of 36, Peel St., Hull. Born at Hull, Memorial: Tower Hill Memorial.